Construction has been started at the Kai Tak Development Area in August 2013, with an aim for completion by 2017. The HKCH is targeted to commence operation by phases in 2018. The Children’s Hospital is the largest Design & Construction building project from the Architectural Service Department of HKSAR, when measured by contract sum. The project has set ambitious sustainability targets to provide world-class healthcare facilities in the region.This is also the first specialist Children’s Hospital in Hong Kong.
- The site area is about 21,700m2with a 285m long frontage abutting
the future waterfront promenade of Kai Tak Development.
- The total construction floor area of HKCH is about 165,000m2.
- Building separation is about 45m between the two
- Building set-backs with green terraces
- Maximization of site greenery coverage at various levels
- A central landscaped courtyard with entrance pavilion in-between the two towers to create a welcoming arrival node
- Maximization of ground floor frontage facing both public roads and future waterfront promenade to enhance openness and accessibility
- Application of sustainable design concept and energy efficient design features including the adoption of district cooling system
- Child-friendly and age appropriate non-institutional environment with care design to cater needs of patients and families